The longest word in the English language is not, as most people believe the word: ‘antidisestablishmentarianism‘.
The longest word ever published in an English dictionary is: ‘Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilico volcanoconiosis‘ (45 letters, no space)
This word, challenging to remember is sometimes spelled as -koniosis.
That would however only be the longest word formed for English dictionaries. There is actually a longer word that is a “place name” such as the hill in New Zealand: Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateatur ipukakapikimaungahoronukupokai whenuakitanatahul (85 letters, no space)
This is the longest known word from an English-speaking country.
Yet, there are words even longer!
The are technical chemical names such as the ‘coat protein, tobacco mosaic virus, dahlemense strain’ which is comprised of a staggering 1,185 letters. These chemical names are not printed in English dictionaries and will never be taught in popular language programs such as Rosetta Stone. One that even trumps that is the full chemical name for the protein Titin which contains a mind-boggling 189,819 letters in it.
These “coined words” theoretically have no upper limit, and consequently would have no use at all in the written or spoken language.
If you have any suggestions to add please send an email to greyorgraysite[at] gmail dot com.
Table of Contents:
What are the Most Commonly Asked Questions?
• What is the longest word in the english language?
• How do you spell supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?
• How do you spell horderves?
• How do you spell antidisestablishmentarianism?
• How do you spell gorgeous?
• How to get fit fast?
• What are carbohydrates?
• What is love?
• How to get back ex back?
• What is my ip address?
• What is a good credit score?
• What is twitter and how does it work?
• What is the meaning of life, the universe and everything?
• What are capers?
• Why are manhole covers round?
• What is the best cutting board material?
• Is a tomato a fruit or vegetable?
• Is a potato a vegetable?
• What are the 7 wonders of the world?
• What are the seven deadly sins?
• What are the ten commandments?
• What is the best makeup?
• What is the smelling cologne for men?
• What is the smelling perfume for women?
• Once twice thrice what comes next?
• What are the most common job interview questions?
Please retweet and share if you find our
Most Commonly Asked Questions Section useful
Bookmark This Page!